My Bangkok Travel Essentials: What I Used, What I Didn’t Need and What I’d Pack Again
Bangkok is the kind of city that quickly exposes what you packed well—and everything you brought for no real reason.
The heat changes how long you want to carry a heavy bag. Long days exploring the city place more demand on your phone and camera batteries. Sudden rain, crowded transport and constantly moving between air-conditioned buildings and humid streets all affect what proves genuinely useful.
After spending time travelling and creating content in Bangkok, these are the items I found useful, the things I could have managed without and what I would pack again for another trip.
Affiliate disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. If you make a qualifying purchase through one of these links, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
1. A comfortable travel backpack
A backpack becomes much heavier after several hours walking around Bangkok, particularly when it contains a camera, water, batteries and everything else collected during the day.
The most useful features are padded shoulder straps, breathable material against your back and separate compartments that prevent smaller items disappearing to the bottom. It should also be small enough to carry comfortably on the BTS Skytrain and through crowded markets.
What I’d pack again: A lightweight backpack that holds the essentials without encouraging me to carry everything I own.
View suitable travel backpacks on Amazon
2. My camera and a versatile lens
Bangkok offers everything from wide city scenes and temples to street portraits, food photography and distant architectural details. Constantly changing lenses can become inconvenient in crowded or dusty environments.
I travelled with my camera because photography was an important part of the experience. For most travellers, however, one reliable camera and one versatile lens will be more useful than carrying an entire collection.
What I’d pack again: My Sony A7 IV with one versatile everyday lens, spare batteries and enough storage.
View travel-friendly camera equipment on Amazon
3. A high-capacity power bank
Using maps, transport apps, translation tools, messages and the camera can drain a phone much faster than expected. A power bank removes the need to find a café or available wall socket during the day.
Check that the power bank is compatible with your phone, supports fast charging and complies with your airline’s current hand-luggage rules. Power banks should generally travel in your cabin baggage rather than checked luggage, but always confirm the rules with your airline.
What I’d pack again: A compact power bank with enough capacity for at least one complete phone charge.
4. A UK-to-Thailand travel adaptor
Many modern hotels provide universal sockets or USB charging, but relying on that can leave you unable to charge essential equipment.
Thailand commonly uses several socket types, while the standard voltage is different from some countries. A universal travel adaptor is useful, but an adaptor does not automatically convert voltage. Check that every device supports the local power supply before plugging it in.
What I’d pack again: One good universal adaptor with several USB or USB-C charging ports.
View universal travel adaptors on Amazon
5. Noise-cancelling headphones
Headphones were most valuable during the flight, at the airport and when I wanted some quiet time away from the energy of the city.
A large pair can deliver better noise cancellation, while smaller earbuds take up considerably less room. The right choice depends on whether comfort or minimal packing matters more to you.
What I’d pack again: Comfortable headphones with reliable battery life and a wired option for the aircraft entertainment system.
View travel headphones on Amazon
6. Packing cubes
Packing cubes do not create extra luggage space, but they make the available space easier to manage. They are particularly useful when changing hotels or trying to find one item without unpacking the entire suitcase.
I would separate clothing, underwear, camera accessories and laundry. Compression cubes can reduce bulk, although overfilling them may simply make the suitcase heavier.
What I’d pack again: A small set of lightweight packing cubes in different sizes.
7. A reusable water bottle
Bangkok’s heat makes hydration important, but travellers should be cautious about where their drinking water comes from. A reusable bottle is useful for carrying bottled or properly filtered water and avoiding repeated small purchases.
An insulated bottle keeps water cooler for longer, but it will also be heavier. A lightweight bottle may be the better choice when walking all day.
What I’d pack again: A leak-resistant bottle that fits securely in the outside pocket of my backpack.
8. A compact travel tripod
A tripod is useful for night photography, self-portraits, video and scenes requiring a slower shutter speed. However, a full-sized tripod quickly becomes a burden when travelling through crowded areas.
Permission and tripod restrictions can vary between attractions and private locations. I would only carry one on days when I already knew I intended to use it.
What I’d pack again: A compact tripod for planned photography sessions—not automatically every day.
View compact travel tripods on Amazon
9. A portable fan
Bangkok is hot and humid, and even a short walk can become uncomfortable. A small rechargeable fan can be useful while waiting outdoors, exploring markets or travelling in vehicles without powerful air conditioning.
It is not essential, and it becomes another device that needs charging. Nevertheless, this is one of the inexpensive items I would seriously consider during the hottest months.
What I’d pack next time: A small USB-C rechargeable fan that can fit inside a day bag.
View portable travel fans on Amazon
10. Something reliable for sudden rain
A tropical downpour can begin quickly. A compact umbrella or lightweight packable rain jacket can protect you, but protecting cameras, passports and electronic equipment is equally important.
A simple waterproof pouch or backpack rain cover may be more useful than carrying heavy waterproof clothing in Bangkok’s heat.
What I’d pack next time: A small umbrella and waterproof protection for my camera and essential documents.
View compact travel rain protection on Amazon
What I would leave behind
The biggest lesson was that carrying more equipment does not automatically create a better trip. Heavy clothing, too many shoes, multiple lenses without a clear purpose and “just in case” gadgets all take up space and make moving around harder.
For my next Bangkok trip, I would prioritise equipment that solves one of four genuine problems: heat, power, organisation or protecting valuable equipment.
My simplified Bangkok packing list
For an ordinary day exploring Bangkok, I would carry:
• Phone
• Camera and one lens
• Spare camera battery
• Power bank and short charging cable
• Water bottle
• Wallet and essential travel documents
• Compact rain protection
• Small portable fan when the weather requires it
Everything else can remain safely at the hotel.
Final thought
The best travel equipment should make the journey easier without becoming another burden to manage.
Bangkok rewards travellers who can move freely, change plans and explore without dragging unnecessary belongings through the city. Start with what you know you will use, then resist filling every remaining space in the suitcase.
Before purchasing anything, check your airline’s current baggage, battery and equipment restrictions, as rules may change.

Comments
Post a Comment